Monday, January 11, 2010

The Sound of Music

Last night the Sanctuary was filled with the sound of strings, harp, organ, continuo, soloists and choir as we held the 13th (maybe 14th) annual Advent/ Christmas/ Epiphany Evensong. This year the format was a modified lessons and carols structure and the music was the wonderful Saint-Saens "Christmas Oratorio." It was marvelous. The warm and reverberant acoustic of our Sanctuary provided the perfect setting for the good work of all the choral, solo, and instrumental musicians. Hats Off!!

We have for many years provided this fitting conclusion to the Advent/Christmas/Epiphany cycle because before it anticipates in the wrong way and during it only seems to add to the busy nature of that time of year. So the second Sunday in January (generally) we bring this wonderful time of the Church Year to a fitting close by a large choral work, with orchestra, and, occasionally, soloists. All of this under the well-schooled hands of our Cantor, Rocky Craft.


The pews and chairs were mostly full (we hold about 350-375) and I saw tears in the eyes of the attentive listeners. Good music, a rich Biblical and liturgical text, and the familiar readings of the season -- well, it don't get much better than that!!


I do not say often enough how much the music of my parish is an integral and powerful part of the whole liturgical context. To go without it, well, it would be like having one arm removed. Text and tune, music and Word go together -- as God has meant them to -- for His glory, for the proclamation of His Gospel, and for the coaxing of praise, noble praise, from the lips and hands of His people. Thank you, choir! Thank you, musicians! Thank you, Rocky! Your labors for the Lord are all year round and it is a great privilege to listen in as you offer your gifts to His glory each Sunday. God bless you!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Text and tune, music and Word go together --as God has meant them to -- for His glory, for the proclamation of His Gospel, and for the coaxing of praise, noble praise, from the lips and hands of His people.

They surely do go together and when Lutherans are true to that heritage as your parish obviously is it is a glorious thing indeed.

Sounds like it was a magnificent evening, Pastor.

Janis Williams said...

Christl,

My husband and I were thrilled to hear music, GOOD music (I'm not downing good contemporary music - in it's place) in the sanctuary of our newfound Lutheran home.

Ditto Father Peters! You forgot one group, however: the congregation. When all lifted their voices together, it was "heart-bustin'!"
Huge thanks to the musicians, soloists, choir, and instrumentalists. Thank you, too! There would have been no Word to go with the music without you!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I were thrilled to hear music, GOOD music (I'm not downing good contemporary music - in it's place) in the sanctuary of our newfound Lutheran home.

Janis, I'm so glad to hear that.

Your sister in Christ,

Christine

IggyAntiochus said...

I had the privilege of hearing the Saint-Saens "Christmas Oratorio" in concert about a week and a half before Christmas. It was my first hearing of this wonderful work. The group took intermission after the oratorio, and all I could say was, "That was really terrific!"

This was a secular group, but it was clear from the conductor's comments that he subscribed to the doctrine of the incarnation.

Anonymous said...

You are most welcome Pastor, but is is our honor. At times I get envious of those sitting in the pews because they hear the whole shabang together! While singing, it is hard to get the full sound. But, I am looking forward to listening to the CD that (hopefully) will be out.

Black Min said...

Top 5 most downloaded and loved songs without much time:

Hindi ringtone
Telugu Ringtone
Theri ringtone
Kar Har Maidan Fateh ringtone
Pilla Ra ringtone

I love music. I always listen to music when I'm going to bed and at work. Music helps me relax and relax. I also installed my favorite song for my cell phone. This is where I usually listen to music and download: https://ringtonedownload.in/

Hope you enjoy it. I think my collection will bring a new look to the world of music. Thank you!