Monday, July 9, 2012

A Quotable Source...

It appears that I have moved from the eclectic ramblings of a somewhat curmudgeonly old Pastor into a respectable source -- well, at least a quotable one.  I have heard via the grapevine that I was a quote and a footnote in ELS Vice President Glenn Obenberger's essay to their annual convention, held last month in Mankato, MN (pages 24 and 25).  Well, so far nothing in Missouri but I am thankful for the small notice among our brethren in the ELS (I recently read somewhere that a blogger can get no respect from his homies and can do only minor miracles among those who know him best).

All kidding aside, the old and laudable idea of a convention essayist is a good one and one too often jettisoned in the quest for time on the agenda to recognize visitors, thank God for anyone and everyone, show a mission moment video or two, and the like.  In our own convention (Mid-South) we got reports but nothing of substance -- no theological essay to challenge, prod, inspire, encourage, and teach.  And that is a sad thing.  While I am sure that VP Obenberger could have found a much better source than my ramblings, I commend him and the ELS for a paper of substance and wish that we would follow the old practice more faithfully.  We are not always teachable but we are always in need of being taught...

You can read it all here...

2 comments:

Rev. Richard Habrecht said...

The Ohio District had Professor Joel D. Biermann from Concordia Seminary as its essayist. He had three presentations during the convention. I totally agree that this is a good idea for conventions. If as a highlight of the convention for me. I challenged us to think about theological matters in the midst of district business.

evc said...

The link you posted did not work for me. However, I broke it down to the essentials and came up with

http://www.evangelicallutheransynod.org/download/2012_els_convention_essay.pdf