Friday, June 23, 2023

So many wonderful hymns. . .

Matthew Carver is a gift and treasure to the wider church, to be sure, but especially to the LCMS.  He is a talented translator and skilled poet who has rendered in English hymns that were before inaccessible to us.  In so doing, he has reminded us that what we have in our hymnals is but the barest smattering of the great and blessed heritage of hymnody we could be enjoying.  So, as summer unfolds around you, do yourself a favor and check him out -- http://matthaeusglyptes.blogspot.com/  There you will find favorites which you never knew before.


MY Jesus shall my comfort be,
My Savior, now and ever,
Who loveth and redeemeth me;
No might our bond shall sever:
With all my will I hold Him still,
In faith on Him relying,
Whate’er I feel, both woe and weal,
In living and in dying.

2 With my dear Jesus I will stand;
My heart in Him remaineth.
Let grief and pain on every hand
Arise as God ordaineth.
Though devil, death, and sin in wrath
To do their worst endeavor,
With Jesus here, my Savior dear,
I am delivered ever.

3 With my dear Jesus next to me,
I’ll stand in judgment surely,
Defying every enemy;
My soul shall dwell securely
And enter in to life with Him
And see with greatest pleasure
The Savior fair, whom here I share
Now by faith’s precious treasure.

 

No comments: