Sunday, June 19, 2011

Some thoughts about my Dad...

The mark of something good is that it becomes ever more precious to you and valuable to you as time passes.  If that is the case, then my Dad is very good.  Although there was a difficult time in rebellious youth when I was not so sure, I am more and more of the opinion that he is one of the most precious gifts God has ever given to me.  I hope and pray that we can all say this on Father's Day.  No, he is not without fault or sin.  No, he is not some unique genius.  He is just a Dad but saying that is saying quite a bit....

There was a time I could not wait to be on my own.  Now I often long for the day when I was just a kid and all the decisions rested on his shoulders.  Every passing year reminds me of the very precious gifts God has given me in my life, my parents being two of the most special.  As I look at my own children I am mindful of my shortcomings and my father seems even greater in comparison.  As the days come and go, many things change, but the grateful heart of this son only grows over time... Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Thank you for this post, Pastor Peters. My Dad was called to Glory a year and a month ago and it is the true faith in Christ that we shared that gives me the assurance that we will meet again soon. Whenever we sing "the angels and archangels and all the company of heaven" I visualize him there. Today We learned that I could wish our youngest son a "Happy Father's Day!" He and his wife are expecting their first in February. Joyous news, for sure!