Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Music for the Circumcision and Name of Jesus


Cantata for New Year
(Weihnachts-Oratorium IV)
1. (36.) Chor
Fallt mit Danken, fallt mit Loben
Vor des Höchsten Gnadenthron!
Gottes Sohn
Will der Erden
Heiland und Erlöser werden,
Gottes Sohn
Dämpft der Feinde Wut und Toben.
1. (36.) Chorus
With gratitude, with praise,
fall before the Almighty's throne of grace!
God's Son
desires to become
the Savior and Redeemer of the world,
God's Son
suppresses the rage and fury of the enemy.
2. (37.) Rezitativ T (Evangelist)
Und da acht Tage um waren, daß das Kind beschnitten würde, da ward sein Name genennet Jesus, welcher genennet war von dem Engel, ehe denn er im Mutterliebe empfangen ward. (Luke 2:21)
2. (37.) Recitative T (Evangelist)
And when eight days had passed, when the child would be circumcised, He was given the name of Jesus, which was proposed for Him by the angel, while He was still confined in His mother's body.
3. (38.) Rezitativ B und Choral S
Immanuel, o süßes Wort!
Mein Jesus heißt mein Hort,
Mein Jesus heißt mein Leben.
Mein Jesus hat sich mir ergeben,
Mein Jesus soll mir immerfort
Vor meinen Augen schweben.
Mein Jesus heißet meine Lust,
Mein Jesus labet Herz und Brust.
  Jesus, du mein liebstes Leben,
  Meiner Seelen Bräutigam,

Komm! Ich will dich mit Lust umfassen,
Mein Herze soll dich nimmer lassen,
  Der du dich vor mich gegeben
  An des bittern Kreuzes Stamm!

Ach! So nimm mich zu dir!
Auch in dem Sterben sollst du mir
Das Allerliebste sein;
In Not, Gefahr und Ungemach
Seh ich dir sehnlichst nach.
Was jagte mir zuletzt der Tod für Grauen ein?
Mein Jesus! Wenn ich sterbe,
So weiß ich, daß ich nicht verderbe.
Dein Name steht in mir geschrieben,
Der hat des Todes Furcht vertrieben.
("Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben," verse 1, part 1)
3. (38.) Recitative B and Chorale S
Emmanuel, o sweet word!
My Jesus is named my treasure,
my Jesus is named my life.
My Jesus has given Himself to me,
my Jesus shall, from now on,
hover before my eyes.
My Jesus is named my joy,
my Jesus refreshes heart and breast.
  Jesus, o my dearest life,
  bridegroom of my soul,

Come! I will embrace You with joy,
my heart shall never leave You,
  You who have given Yourself for me
  on the bitter staff of the cross!

Ah! Then take me to You!
Even in death you shall be to me
my most beloved;
in suffering, danger, and hardship
I look to You longingly.
How, then, can death pursue me with fear?
My Jesus! When I die,
I know that I will not perish.
Your name stands written within me,
which has driven out the fear of death.
4. (39.) Arie S (mit Echo)
Flößt, mein Heiland, flößt dein Namen
Auch den allerkleinsten Samen
Jenes strengen Schreckens ein?
Nein, du sagst ja selber nein. (Nein!).
Sollt ich nun das Sterben scheuen?
Nein dein süßes Wort ist da!
Oder sollt ich mich erfreuen?
Ja, du Heiland sprichst selbst ja. (Ja!)
4. (39.) Aria S (with echo)
O my Savior, does your name
instill even the very tiniest seed
of that powerful terror?
No, You Yourself say no. (No!)
Shall I shun death now?
No, Your sweet word is there!
Or shall I rejoice?
Yes, o Savior, You Yourself say yes. (Yes!)
5. (40.) Rezitativ B und Choral S
Wohlan, dein Name soll allein
In meinem Herzen sein!
  Jesu, meine Freud und Wonne,
  Meine Hoffnung, Schatz und Teil,

So will ich dich entzücket nennen,
Wenn Brust und Herz zu dir vor Liebe brennen.
  Mein Erlösung, Schmuck und Heil,
Doch, Liebster, sage mir:
Wie rühm ich dich, wie dank ich dir?
  Hirt und König, Licht und Sonne,
  Ach! Wie soll ich würdiglich,
  Mein Herr Jesu, preisen dich?
("Jesu, du mein liebstes Leben," verse 1, part 2)
5. (40.) Recitative B and Chorale S
Well then, Your name alone
shall be in my heart!
  Jesus, my joy and delight,
  my hope, treasure and portion,

Thus I shall call you enchanting,
since breast and heart are enflamed with love for You.
  My redemption, adornment, and salvation,
Yet, beloved, tell me:
how shall I praise You, how thank You?
  Shepherd and King, light and sun,
  ah! How shall I worthily
  praise You, my Jesus?
6. (41.) Arie T
Ich will nur dir zu Ehren leben,
Mein Heiland, gib mir Kraft und Mut,
Daß es mein Herz recht eifrig tut!
  Stärke mich,
  Deine Gnade würdiglich
  Und mit Danken zu erheben!
6. (41.) Aria T
I will live only for Your honor,
my Savior, give me strength and courage,
so that my heart can do it eagerly!
  Strengthen me
  to exalt Your mercy worthily
  and with gratitude!
7. (42.) Choral
Jesus richte mein Beginnen,
Jesus bleibe stets bei mir,
Jesus zäume mir die Sinnen,
Jesus sei nur mein Begier,
Jesus sei mir in Gedanken,
Jesu, lasse mich nicht wanken!
("Hilf, Herr Jesu, laß gelingen," verse 15)
7. (42.) Chorale
Jesus orders my beginning,
Jesus remains always with me,
Jesus restrains my thoughts,
let Jesus only be my delight,
let Jesus be with me in my thoughts,
Jesus, do not let me waver!



















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

does that thing actually go on for 2 hrs and 35 minutes ??

Anonymous said...

More importantly, is it really about the circumcision of Jesus? That pulls a 9 on the weird scale...I'd rather sing about Mary changing his diapers!