What can we do?
- Lay people can insist upon the restoration of this holy day where it has been dropped from the local liturgical calendar.
- Pastors can re-introduce this feast into the liturgical life of the parish whether or not many folks will actually attend (try scheduling a baptism or confirmation for this evening to draw attention to it).
- Congregations that do not believe they can do this alone can band together for a circuit wide observance of the Ascension.
- The Church can begin teaching the importance of the Ascension both as feast and as fact -- for the sake of our witness and our catechesis.
- If the congregation and pastor will not schedule the service, the faithful can at least ask and expect the church to be open for prayer and this to be announced. Perhaps the faithful can shame us into pious practice.