Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A noteworthy passing. . .

While attending to my father, I missed the death of Fr. Thomas Hopko, renown voice of Ancient Christian Radio, noted author, eminent professor, and well spoken defender of Orthodoxy.  He died on March 18 of this year.  Many know Fr. Hopko through his introduction to Orthodoxy, The Orthodox Faith: An Elementary Handbook on the Orthodox Church.  That is but one of the many contributions Fr. Hopko made over his life.

I personally knew him as an acquaintance during my time in New York and knew him much better through his print and radio work.  He was a most gracious individual and his lifetime of service has left us all the wiser and in his death the poorer.  Especially noteworthy was his representation of the Orthodox Church at ecumenical dialogues where he clearly and graciously presented the Orthodox faith.  Perhaps my first real encounter with Fr. Hopko was through his contributions to the book Women and the Priesthood, a work which continues to address the ongoing pressure on Rome, Constantinople, and the LCMS to ordain women.  I commend this little volume (if you can still find it)...

No comments: