The guidelines for Catholic funerals, sent by Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, also declare that a funeral should not be a "celebration" of the deceased's life. "Secular items are never to be sung or played at a Catholic funeral, such as romantic ballads, pop or rock music, political songs, football club songs," the guidelines say.
82% of the folks disagree with the Bishop's decision. If you want to know what we are talking about, read the list of popular funeral songs below listed in 2008 by Centennial Park, a leading provider of cemetery, crematorium and memorial services in Australia.
- 1. My Way, Frank Sinatra
- 2. Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong
- 3. Time To Say Goodbye, Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
- 4. Unforgettable, Nat King Cole
- 5. The Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler
- 6. Amazing Grace, various artists
- 7. We'll Meet Again, Vera Lynn
- 8. Over the Rainbow, Judy Garland
- 9. Abide With Me, Harry Secombe
- 10. Danny Boy, various artists
- Most Unusual Funeral Songs
- 1. The Show Must Go On, Queen
- 2. Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin
- 3. Highway to Hell, AC/DC
- 4. Another One Bites the Dust, Queen
- 5. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Bon Jovi
- 6. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, Monty Python
- 7. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead, The Wizard of Oz
- 8. Hit the Road Jack, Willie Nelson
- 9. I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred
- Power, Crows and AFL team songs
So my HT for the day is also to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Melbourne, Australia...