Thursday, August 19, 2021

Getting rich off of Jesus. . .

There are those who love to point out that Joel Osteen does not take a salary from his congregation.  Sometimes people tell me I need to be more like him.  But of course, what need does he of salary when his publishing empire pulls in millions -- largely from the sale of recycled sermons!  He is not the only one to go without formal compensation but he is unusual in the fact that most evangelical preachers do receive a salary from their congregations/ministries -- and a pretty hefty one at that!

Is it okay to get rich off of preaching about Jesus?  I am not talking about a middle class living but the kind of lucrative compensation which enables these mega preachers of mega churches to wear designer clothes designed to look casual and sneakers that cost thousands.  Is it okay to get rich off of preaching about Jesus?  I am not the first to raise this question.  Probably closer to the end of the line than its beginning as we face the entrepreneurial preachers who turn their ministries into fortunes.

I guess the first thing I would say about these preachers is that they are not really pastors.  They do not visit the sick or stay through the night with the grieving or teach catechism classes to youth and those new to the faith.  They do not baptize or preside at and distribute the Holy Supper of our Lord's body and blood.  Most of them have a job description that better fits a CEO, motivational speaker, author, or leadership guru.  And as for preaching, well, I would hardly consider what many of them say "preaching".  They are generally terrible exegetes and contort the Scripture to fit what they want it to say and they preach a message that sells more than one that convicts sinners or rescues them with the sweet word of forgiveness.  Their preaching is designed to enhance their identity as powerhouses, prosperous people of God, and examples of what the faithful should expect in their own lives of success and ease.  There are few real preachers among them -- not that this suggests they are not good at their task of communication.  They are excellent at this aspect of their lives.  Too good, perhaps.

The majority of pastors, especially Lutheran ones, are middle class folks.  More of them are lower middle class than upper.  Yet the presumption on the part of some is that they are rich, do not work very hard, and get rich off preaching about Jesus.  Frankly, I do not understand it.  When I began, I earned $800 a month and got a house.  People then thought I was on top of the world since I did not have a mortgage.  But unlike most of those in the pews, I did not purchase my first home until I was nearly 40 (and I still live in it).  Yes, my compensation has improved greatly over 41 years.  Whose has not?  But I am near the end of my peak earning years.  Even the average Roman Catholic priest has seen his earnings increase to $45,600.  The average LCMS pastor earns $67,000 (with a family to support).  If you think that is getting rich off preaching about Jesus, perhaps you should do a little more digging.

I do worry about those who come after me.  We live in a world in which folks in the pew are likely to see the cost of health insurance and retirement as extravagant.  People still live in the mythology that pastors are exempt from taxes (when, if they participate in social security, they pay more than an employee does, as well as paying on the value of the housing provided or the housing allowance).  In an age of shrinking congregations and shrinking church budgets, people are likely to see the pastor as an expensive ornament more than an essential office worthy of our esteem and our financial support.

Some complain about the extravagant salaries of Synod and District leaders.  I don't begrudge them what they earn.  One year my DP spent less than 70 nights in his own home.  He was on the road that much in a district that spans 1,000 miles from end to end.  Look at how we nitpick at our leaders, especially Synod President, and tell me that what we pay him is too much.  You could not pay me enough to put me in the cross hairs of every complaining pastor or layperson.  Plus, the presumption is that you are the all powerful wizard when you have little real power and lots of room to make enemies who will turn off the vital pipeline of funds to everything (including missions) to punish you.

Should you get rich off preaching about Jesus?  No.  Should you expect a decent living wage so that you can devote your time and attention where it belongs?  Yes.   While this is an issue for mega pastors and mega churches, it is probably not even worth a discussion for the average parish pastor and parish.  Nobody is getting rich off preaching about Jesus here.

No comments: