Thrivent members voted 72% to 28% to ditch Lutheran identity and become a generic fraternal (though fraternal pretty much in name only if you take a look at their chapter structure and health). No surprise here. Like a car wreck on the road, we are told to move along...
“This is an exciting
time at Thrivent,” said President and CEO Brad Hewitt. “However, we are
looking at this from a long-term perspective and changes will be
gradual. Our commitment to serving Lutherans and strengthening the
Lutheran community will remain as strong as ever as we move forward in a
new chapter for the organization.”
The sad reality is that 21% of the members decided for the other 79% so the vote was a majority of a minority. Legal yes... salutary? No, I don't think so...