Friday, January 20, 2012

Hip! Hip! Hooray!

I have little patience for the abuse of technology known as the obnoxious cell phone ring.  I dislike it but when it happens in a restaurant I endure it.  I resent it when it happens in the cinema and wonder why the theater allows it.  I despise it when it happens in church and, if I had the guts, would come down from the chancel and beat the phone to smithereens when it occurs.  But I have to hand it to the conductor who stopped the New York Philharmonic and would not continue until the offender acknowledged his offense, silenced the phone, and promised it would not happen again.  If I had more courage, I would do the same thing when it happens in Church.  Pray for me.

You can read it all here..... courtesy of the Wall Street Journal...

2 comments:

Janis Williams said...

Fr. Peters,

I totallly agree on the phone issue. I have been guilty a couple of times during Divine Service. Not because I am tied to my phone, but because I am forgetful. Mea culpa.

The worst occasion of this I've encountered was during a funeral, when the ringtone was a happy whistler.

In another vein, I am thankful crying babies and squirmy children are not cell phone equivalents. Unfortunately in not a few churches today, cell phones are tolerated, and children relegated to their own 'sanctuary.'

Fallhiker said...

In Europe the opera house have special dampeners that block cell phone signals, rendering them useless incoming or outgoing.... maybe we need to take an enlightened view and adopt them ourselves